So, you’ve been in a car or truck crash. Do you need to seek legal counsel? Although I am a bit biased being a lawyer, the answer is still “maybe”. The best course of action really does depend on a number of factors. Not everyone needs a lawyer!
So when do you need a lawyer and when do you not need a lawyer after an accident?
When you need to seek legal counsel:
- You were seriously injured as a result of the accident
- The insurance company claims you were at fault, but you don’t believe you were.
- The insurance company doesn’t offer to settle for more than your medical bills (Settlement negotiations take a lot of work, and your lawyer will do the legwork for you).
- You’ve missed work or have medical bills that haven’t been covered.
- A child was in your car and was injured during the collision.
- Someone died as a result of the crash (Always secure legal counsel in this situation, no matter what else happened!).
When you do not need a lawyer:
- The impact was minor and you were not hurt.
- The collision was your fault (If you get sued, your insurance carrier will provide legal representation for you).
Sometimes it can be risky or tricky to handle a car accident claim on your own, especially if there are any significant injuries. Even if the other parties involved in the collision seem friendly and willing to work with you, someone with legal expertise can help you determine the best course of action.
Traffic collisions happen every day. Understand your options so that if you experience a collision, you’ll know what to do next. And if you’re not sure, it can’t hurt to ask. I am happy to answer any questions you may have following an automobile collision.
If you have been in a car or truck accident recently and need legal representation, please reach out to me for a free case evaluation.
Call 636-530-1515 or contact us online.